Friday, December 16, 2005

Post 70

I am feeling a bit woozy, my head is swimming a bit, and the White Stripes are filling my ears with the sweet sounds of (pasty) white blues. I think I am going to sleep soon. This is groundbreaking. I have a cold and I have taken a lot of medicine. It's making me feel like I'm taking crazy pills. I am going to see the girl in New York later today! Unfortunately, those bastards on the MTA decided a strike would be a good idea. Wow, Philly beat New York to something? First times are exciting.


Against my better judgment, I have compiled a list of the best albums of the year. There will be some auspicious omissions (I just don't like The Decemberists that much, ok???), but there were only twelve albums on the list, so here goes.

10) The White Stripes Get Behind Me Satan
Mostly just because the first track is the most outrageously foot-stomping song I heard all year but the rest of the album is a little full of itself. What do we expect, I guess, from a dude who loves Tesla Coils so much (fourth quote).

9) Bane The Note
My favorite band (I was known as "Bane Kid" until February of my sophomore year of college), so pretty much an automatic entry. Not their best stuff, but they can put together a better album than most hardcore bands by shitting on their instruments. Nicest guys in music, too. By far.

8) The Plot To Blow Up The Eiffel Tower Love In The Fascist Brothel
Pretentious artcore. But so good! (And obviously right up my pretentious alley.) Also, they're not terrorists, for the last time. Runner-up for gayest album art.

7) Neil Young Prairie Wind
Certainly not his best stuff, but the man's father died and he had a brain aneurysm, and he still puts out better material than most shmoes with acoustic guitars could ever hope to.

6) Sufjan Stevens Come On Feel The Illinoise
Never heard of the dude until a month ago; can't stop listening to the album since. Can do full orchestra/choir pieces and simple acoustic songs like nothing.

5) The Life Aquatic Soundtrack
Some discussion about whether or not a soundtrack could be included, but ultimately the power of Murray won everyone over. Only one track on this album I don't listen to (fuck you, Joan Baez), put together by someone else, and fucking Portuguese Bowie covers. A winner.

4) Fiona Apple Extraordinary Machine
It's rare for an album to live up to the hype it gets, but I'll just say this: I scoffed at Fiona until I got this album, and now I have her whole discography.

3) Lightning Bolt Hypermagic Mountain
Highest energy album of the year; coincidentally, also wins for gayest album art. I love you Chippendale!!

2) Reggie and the Full Effect Songs Not To Get Married To
James Dewees is fucking genius. Drums for Coalesce, keyboards for The Get Up Kids, catchiest songwriter of the year. Most of the album is serious, but wait till the end and you get to "Deathnotronic." Shit is hotttt.

1) Of Montreal The Sunlandic Twins
When I got this CD, I honestly could not force myself to not listen to it. Tremendous live performers and super nice guys. Still have dude's phone number. Another runner-up for gayest album art.


Well, I didn't really think it was going to end up like that, but I guess that's how it goes. There's a good chance I'll be editing this as I think about it more.

3 Comments:

At 12:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm stuck her as well because of the strike. Cost me $50 to stay in the townhouses another day.

 
At 1:43 PM, Blogger Paul Tsikitas said...

Nice list. Reggei album is really good. You need Malkmus in your face like whoa! Face the Truth would be right up your alley.

 
At 8:26 PM, Blogger Werd said...

Pat-
Sucks that you had to stay and they didn't even strike.

Paul-
I know, I know.

B-
Shut up your face!

Skip-
I still talk about furtively driving around and picking up my canvassers to that song. Pretty much gotta.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home