Monday, February 25, 2008

Dad Fashion!

So, those of you who know me know that I have some small obsessions in my life, most of which are pretty strange and allow some soft spots in my otherwise impenetrable fortress of good looks, charm and wit. Among these idiosyncrasies is one that seems to come up time and again - Dad Fashion.

If you're lucky enough, as I am, to have a dad who portrays most of even all of these qualities, it makes this post funny. If not, I apologize in advance and you should come back in a couple days for a new post.

So here it is - my Dad Fashion checklist. Suggestions for additions encouraged.

__White sneakers
__Light-colored jeans pulled up a bit too high (above-the-knee khaki shorts in the summer)
__Tube socks (crew socks also acceptable, though they have to be pulled up)
__Collared shirt tucked into pants
__Very plain black or brown leather belt
__Cell phone holster clipped to belt
__Hoodless sweatshirt
__Jacket of a sports team and/or restaurant (bonus points for sports-themed restaurant)
__Baseball hat (which was probably free)
__Thinning hair
__Just-a-mustache
__Prescription sunglasses
__Maps
__Handkerchief (for blowing nose really loudly in public places)
__Chunky, waterproof multi-purpose watch with compass, thermometer, etc


"You drank yourself into slow-mo
Made an angel in the snow
Anything to pass the time."

- "Clementine" by Elliot Smith (from Elliot Smith)

3 Comments:

At 11:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

-thinning comb-over

-jeff cap

-everything tucked into everything

 
At 12:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

my dad taught me the importance of a good handkerchief.

I'd also like to add to the list ugly shorts that your pops wears all the time because they were on sale, a la my dad's purple shorts from land's end. which brings me to my next point...

-love's land's end
-will stop any family trip passing through delaware to go to land's end store outlet, because there's no sales tax and lots of shoes.

 
At 6:04 AM, Blogger leo said...

Man, you nailed it.

I think my dad has three t shirts, all purchased at the Jersey shore, all of course having the beach town name on them, used for many occasions.

The exact same rules apply for hoodless sweatshirts, too!

-tucked into shorts. Oh, you had that.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home