Thursday, November 13, 2008

Dear My Neighbor With The Goth Band

Hi. How are you? I've seen you lurking around your half of the house a few times. You look to be about my age - maybe a little older. It sounds like you're learning to play guitar. That's awesome! The guitar is a wonderful instrument, and you'll be better off for having learned how to play. As a self-taught guitarist myself, I thought I could offer some constructive criticism based on what I hear through the wall of my house -

  • Amplifiers provide tremendous flexibility and versatility for your sound, and give you many ways to manipulate effects. Learning to play guitar with the volume at 8 doesn't necessarily mean you're getting better, though!

  • Practice does indeed make perfect. However, playing the same three notes in a row that don't sound good the first time aren't going to sound good if you play them for 20 minutes straight!

  • Although it's a useful tuning sometimes, Drop D doesn't sound as cool as you think! It mostly just sounds like Limp Bizkit and Korn. Maybe the Deftones. So: use it sparingly, not on every song!

  • Late night sessions are great, and being in a band often means late nights. Contrary to what you believe, though, starting practice at 10:30 pm every Sunday night and playing until 1:00 am doesn't constitute a late night rocking out (or whatever the crap you goths do)!


Okay, great! I'm glad we had this talk. I trust that you will start wearing earphones when you play on your amp, and you guys will start practice before 10:30 pm now. Best of luck on the road to fame, fortune, and snarky t-shirts at Hot Topic!

Love,
Your next-door neighbor Drew

2 Comments:

At 11:16 PM, Blogger KDHL said...

I'm 16 minutes away from banging on the wall and telling them to shut the fuck up.

My house may be freezing but at least I don't share my bedroom with a goth band.

 
At 11:30 PM, Blogger KDHL said...

Fine. You just told me to let it go till 11 pm. 11 pm on a Sunday is outrageous! 32 minutes more of this shit.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home