Wednesday, July 02, 2008

you don't meet nice girls in coffee shops

I'm going to see Tom Waits tonight, in Mobile, Alabama. (In case I didn't already post this, this video about the tour is really amazing.) This will be my first time in Alabama as far as I know and my first time seeing Tom Waits. Dude tours so infrequently that I wouldn't be surprised if I didn't see again, either. Though I feel like he's looked and sounded like he was on death's door for years.

My director made a good point about this concert - Waits doesn't even necessarily need to _do_ anything or sing _any_ songs, and I'm sure it'd be entertaining as hell. He could just come out with a pack of cigarettes and snifter of brandy and say (in that gravelly, I've-seen-the-whole-world snarl), "I don't feel like singing tonight. We're just gonna talk for three hours," and we'd all eat it up. (See for reference this interview he did. Imagine listening to him say "Me and my wife on Rte. 66 with a pot of coffee, a cheap guitar, pawnshop tape recorder in a Motel 6, and a car that runs good parked right by the door" in person?!?!)

Then, tomorrow, I head up to Boston for 11 days. Just when I'm settling into a groove here....

Luckily when I get back it'll be even more humid and disgusting than it is currently.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home