Monday, January 30, 2006

Killing time...and manatee babies

So, at the request of my friend Kibby, I will now bore everyone with a long-winded explanation of my slacker artwork. (To see the questions, check the comments on the post entitled "Yet more.") Here you go, Kibb. You asked for it.

A) I don't really have a technique. I use spray paint and, as evidenced in (7), I now use poster paint. To splatter, I use the rounded end of a broken drumstick (because that's how Kerry King of Slayer splatters his guitar!) and throw it or press it against the paper. Sometimes I like to make the paint drip if it looks cool, sometimes I don't.

B) I'm trying to say that it doesn't take a lot of talent to make something that is aesthetically pleasing (to me, at least). As Stev pointed out, I'm really into doing easy, slackerific things that look cool (like my vinyl bowl). I don't think art has to be pretentious or hard - it's an expression for the artist, and if people like it, then that's a very convenient byproduct. I think I stole that from Wilde, so here's the real quote. "A work of art is useless as a flower is useless. A flower blossoms for its own joy. We gain a moment of joy by looking at it. ... Of course man may sell the flower and so make it useful to him, but this has nothing to do with the flower. It is not part of its essence. It is accidental. It is a misuse." I guess the short answer is that I'm trying to get something out of it for myself, though I don't quite know what that is yet, and if other people can appreciate it and think it looks nice, then that's awesome.

C) Is it successful? I think so. It allows me to feel creative and gives me an outlet, so it's successful in that regard. I think the only one that really made me feel a lot better about what was going through my mind at the time was the first one I did, where I tackled the big issues of the universe (life, the world, believing, home). Coincidentally, that's the only one with writing on it so far, and I think that gives it a certain vivacity that I want to incorporate into future pieces. After that first one, most of the smaller doods have just been to please my eye, though I'm color deficient (not quite color blind, but close), so please forgive any atrocities you may notice in regards to color scheme.

Ok, I think that's quite enough. Hope that satisfied, Kibby. Drew is gagging on that already, so I'll shut up and post the new pieces I did. (9) is already gone, though I have another yellow one on the board right now.

7)



8)



9)

4 Comments:

At 11:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for that Drew. I'll show it to Ryan and make him feel hopelessly inadequate in his ability to explain and support his artwork. Just kidding! Although i have to say that I was really expecting some sort of wierd, political reasons that you were painting these things, because y'know, thats what you do.

 
At 1:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Drew,
Dibs of 7?
Or at least Dibs on the next vaguely similiar piece?


Make one in Orange/red/yellow/black and I'll give you one of my crappy oil paiting messes.

 
At 5:07 PM, Blogger Werd said...

Eep. Sorry Rick, 7 is, in fact, taken. But I was planning on doing another one much like that, though perhaps less busy? And keep your oil painting messes - I'm taking oil painting this semester, so I'm sure I'll have plenty of those myself. Also, still interested in a big one? Email me, man. Castironhike19@yahoo.com

Kibby, you ignorant slut. Just kidding! At least Ryan gets paid for his and has a sweet warehouse to paint in. I've got a basement that smells like cat piss. And not everything I do is political, thank you very much. I have a very sensitive side.

 
At 11:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes Drew, Still interested....
I will E-mail you.

However, an old interest has re-emerged.
Remember Wiffel Jousting?
I think we still have to do it.
More Later...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home