Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Detox Day 2: Higher-level brain functions return!

So a combination of fantastic financial strain (I have about $40 American for the next two weeks) and 3 weeks of heavy imbibing have put me into detox of sorts here. I feel very, very good about it. I've been able to sweat out most of the horrid toxins (PBR and scotch, mostly). I'm starting to remember what words like "aesthetic," "acrimonious" and "the" mean. Drew and Lou may remember that guy from college.

The nice thing is that I've had lots of time to read lately, and have picked up some good stuff. I finally read my first Christopher Moore book, "The Lust Lizard Of Melancholy Cove." Then it was half of Ken Kalfus' "A Disorder Peculiar To The Country," which was actually a pretty big disappointment since I like his other stuff (particularly "The Commissariat Of Enlightenment" and "Thirst") so much. Then it was John Hodgman's "The Areas Of My Expertise," which was just as good as I'd hoped it would be. Highly recommended. Now it's "Angela's Ashes" by Frank McCourt, a book, as it turns out, I put off for far too long. It's simply delightful. And yes, I just used a word to describe a book that most people (myself included) thought was retired in 1962.

In a little self-promotion that's a couple weeks old by now, some of the organizations I work for ran a massive campaign against BP, which was planning to increase toxic dumping into Lake Michigan by several thousand pounds every day - 1,584 pounds of ammonia and "4,925 pounds of suspended solids, tiny sludge particles that escape water treatment filters." On Thursday, August 23, BP said that they wouldn't increase dumping because of "ongoing regional opposition." Yea, 80,000 petition signatures will give you that impression, won't it, assholes. Now all we have to do is get said assholes to hold up their end of the bargain. Mad props to my boy Will for launching and coordinating this tactical nuclear strike and sticking it to those bastards.

9 Comments:

At 11:47 AM, Blogger Wes said...

Wow, you're like, actually an English major. You read books I've never heard of.

I'm reading Kafka's Metamorphosis right now.

It's OK, you can say it: n00b!

 
At 2:07 PM, Blogger Crystal said...

Wes is right, we bow to your obvious literary superiority. I haven't even read Kafka's metamorphosis, however I HAVE seen this episode of Home Movies so I think I've got the gist:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=p2ZHL07Al7Y

 
At 11:57 AM, Blogger Wes said...

...it's minor Kafka.

 
At 3:44 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Mmmm detox is great. I just began mine. You should also check out Frank's newest memoir on teaching. It is also delightful.

 
At 2:33 AM, Blogger will said...

Glad to hear that the Hodgeman book is as good as I imagined it would if I knew how to read books. That guy is beyond funny. That's the one with the list of 100 hobo names, right?

 
At 1:20 AM, Blogger leo said...

You get paid to help out / for environmental sites? That's pretty rad. I always assumed everyone involed in those in any way was doing stuff pro bono. Nice jorb.

And yes, I'm guessing you've been doing this for a long time and I'm the last to know about it.

Anagram: Quit Oggling Kevin Nash's Quadriceps

 
At 9:18 PM, Blogger Werd said...

Haha, yea, there's a bunch of us out here doing the grunt work and keeping paid (coughcoughverylittlecough). I generally don't talk about it much, so don't worry about it. Plus, you're 3,000 miles away and about 14 dimensions from Philly.

 
At 2:37 PM, Blogger Crystal said...

Alright, let's get your new blog idea rolling. You can provide all the content and I'll guilt everyone into commenting on it. Yah!

 
At 1:33 AM, Blogger Drew said...

bookz R 4 turdz

 

Post a Comment

<< Home