Thursday, January 12, 2006

Ugh

So I haven't been keeping tabs on everyone's blogs lately, on account of spending lots of time with The Girl From New York and not giving my other honey, the computer, as much attention as she has received and will continue to receive in the coming months. Hence, I just went through all of the blogs I have listed over -----> there and read all the stuff I missed. Man, some people talk a lot. Others (ahem Doctor ahem) don't. I love reading them, though. It's so nice to see what other people are doing. Though I can't help but shake this feeling that maybe I should just talk to people once in a while...


Nah.

5 Comments:

At 11:13 PM, Blogger Benny said...

Talk is cheap... Blogs last forever (on Google, anyway)...

-b ;-)

 
At 1:33 AM, Blogger Drew said...

Quite true, quite true. I think if Hesse had been around and not a recluse, he would have had a self-indulgent blog that we would relate to quite well. I dug your quote; reminded me of another from Demian:

"I stood at a street corner and listened: out of two bars the methodically rehearsed gaiety of youth rang out against the night. False communion everywhere, everywhere shedding the responsibility of fate, flight to the herd for warmth."

 
At 2:56 PM, Blogger Benny said...

Yeah. I liked that quote, too. Heh.

After Jean Rhys, I'm going to read The Glass Bead Game. Have you read any other Hesse?

It took me several attempts to get all the way through Demian, mostly because the book is not about Demian but about the person to whom Demian is so significant. I fell madly in love with Harry Haller, so I kept wanting to read about another Harry Haller. Demian was the only book I left out when I packed up my room, so I forced myself to read it all the way through. And obviously enjoyed it.

-b

 
At 7:56 PM, Blogger Drew said...

Yeaaaa, Demian was tough. But there were some good things in it. I read Siddhartha and really enjoyed that, and started reading Steppenwolf but just couldn't deal with it. At least they're short, because there's only so much loathing for humanity that I can tolerate outside my own...

 
At 1:49 PM, Blogger Benny said...

I see your point. What keeps me interested in Hesse is the magic realism. I like literary fiction writers who make their own rules. I also like all the Freudian theory laced into Hesse's plot. Even if it's outdated, it's fun.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home