Sunday, March 12, 2006

These are exciting times, my friend

Another weekend up in New York with The Girl, another week gone by without a post. It's much easier to not post than I thought. This past week was my spring break, and I showed my tits to everyone. It was tremendous. I also participated in much-delayed Sitting Around™ and Bouts of Nothing™. (I'm so happy I learned the code for that. Go me!) Big things are happening on the life-after-graduation front (after many light-heartedly-threatening-but-still-quite-menacing phone calls from Dad, most of which occured on Friday nights). Looking at a couple of apartments in West The Moon, got a for-real job interview on Saturday (business casual, no earrings, no shave - yet), and have another interview for a TA job with a summer program, for which I have to construct a lesson plan. Scary/exciting/interesting/weird.

That's about it. Back to the grind this week. Haven't been doing much creative stuff that wasn't forced at gunpoint lately, but here's the beginning of an essay (read: fragments and random bullshit) I wrote at some point.


New York is a weird fucking place, man. It's a strange universe, a dimension of unreality and skewed perceptions, a world filled with too much to do and people self-important enough to try and get as much of it done as they can.

It's become abundantly clear to me that New York's two biggest imports are overeduated materialists and legitimately crazy people. Nowhere else have I ever seen such opulence contrasted so starkly with people who cannot keep their yelps and screams and naked bodies to themselves.

The city sometimes feels like the Bric-a-Brac section of the Salvation Army - the collected odds and ends of a thousand cities and a million towns boxed up and overnighted to a place that might find some use or place for them. The pieces that never quite fit or the egos that were just a little too big or the putty that was never quite shaped to the right dimensions always seem to make their way to New York.

For me, there's always a sense of urgency teeming on the sidewalks of the city. The people, the cars, the marquees, the lights, the streetlamps - you can feel a palpable energy beating with every step of a shoe against the concrete.

1 Comments:

At 5:14 PM, Blogger Adam McGrath said...

I like your insights into New York. That energy you speak of is what I crave from the urban landscape, why I love big cities. It's such a vital aliveness that NYC has in abundance, a constant activity, something always on. Some people are scared of it. I love it. New York is the epicenter of people that Kerouac would call the "mad ones."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home